FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Friday 7 March 2014

Clean Winter Sunshine Tenby approx 11" by 14" Mixed media.

This is the start of a few paaintings with a NEW working method...how many times have I said that before...basically it involves:
1.taking a photo of a scene that really strikes me...
2.then taking a video of same scene with a narration describing the main 2 or 3 elements that attract me to the scene.
3.In the studio I then paint a "foundation" of watercolour, with tones and colours as accurate as I can.....
4.then to freely apply thick acrylic , I use as large brushes that I can, to try and get something of the freshness of what attracted me to the scene in the first place.

This seemingly convoluted method of getting back to the essence of the landscape, is bourne out of dissatisfaction for Plein Air painting, which can deteriorate into 3 hour numbing exercise....the light/weather/mood changes and the painting can sometimes get  diffused.
Just plain photos of the scene often look pretty uninspiring when printed in the studio.



2 comments:

Don Gray said...

Simon--I like your approach to this group and think you're really getting close to your goals/intentions with these bold, confident works.

You're right--plein air can be problematic in it's own way, and hanging onto your original excitement in the studio, faced with a disappointing photo, is equally problematic. My admiration for the vitality you infuse in these pieces.

Simon Jones said...

Thanks Don...yes I feel I have enough to go on to make something out of this approach...its basically a very simple method...oh well until my next wonder method arrives..involving an ouija board ...a rusty nail...a dreamcatcher...and a few grammes of enriched Uranium...